« Dr. Arnzen (in lieu of Spurlock) | Main | Addendum to homecoming »

Homecoming story

Allow me to say a few words about homecoming and the damnable article. I'm not a fan of homecoming events. I went in high school simply because, well, what the bloody Hell else is there to do in the suburbs? When Dr. Jerz first announced that we had to cover something from homecoming, my gut reaction was "eh, I guess I can do the Harry Potter thing," which about six minutes later I realized that I had to work, and actually had to work all of the homecoming weekend and wouldn't be able to cover any of the stories.

Luckily, Dr. Jerz was understanding of my plight and allowed me to present an article in which I still related homecoming, but not an event. I discussed the idea that the event excluded communting students and/or people from outside the Greensburg area.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like Greensburg, it's a nice town, but is considerably "small" when compared to other places. Unless, though, you live pretty near the campus (or on it), there's not a very big draw for it. Most of my sources agreed that the University was leaving commuters lacking, but some felt it was a valiant effort.

There is a fight for both sides, but to me and many others, it was pretty clear that, well, the University screwed the proverbial pooch. Believe me, had I not had to be involved with reporting on Homecoming, you wouldn't have heard word one from me. I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't praise it either.

I enjoyed the idea behind the article, but with as many as we have in the class, it becomes a little tough to properly assign and report without overlap. Even myself and Nancy had a smidge of overlap.

Not much more to say on that. I didn't like the actual practice of it, and I'm getting tired of constantly paying money I don't have for stuff I don't really care about, but such is life.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at October 14, 2005 2:52 AM

You wrote:

"I'm getting tired of constantly paying money I don't have for stuff I don't really care about, but such is life."

Is it? ;c)

Posted by: moira at October 14, 2005 10:04 PM

To save time, I'll not get into the Marxist philosophy attached to this, but...yeah, that's the way of the world.

Believe me, it's not like these are things I want to do or am really in desperate times to gain them, but for things that are "required," I don't feel I should have to pay for it.

Maybe it's just me, maybe not. I always had that problem in High School - if the district is making us read something, they should provide it. We've paid enough in taxes and other assorted good and plenty, we shouldn't have to dish out another 10 bucks everytime there's a "required" reading.

Fortunately, Dr. Jerz has, mostly, thus far been requiring events that only cost time instead of time and money, but for someone like me, it costs money too.

It is providing a good lesson in the life of a journalist, this I understand. It's not like the story will come to me, and I understand I have to travel. Hell, I go to LA every year because of being a "journalist."

But some of these events, I'm sorry to say, just aren't worth the damn time. My time is very precious, as is all of our time. Mine, though, is measured and systematically made. I have to divide between school and work, my girlfriend and family, and a little time to maybe, God willing, get a sandwich or a nap.

I understand that I'm just kind of bleating the ongoing and prophetic dogma of the typical college student. Life would be simpler without these extra things, but they are done of my own accord. Which goes back to the Marxism and original statement...

It is the way of the world. That's how life goes. You work so you can buy things. You go to school so you can get a good job so you can buy things.

I'm not saying we all need to take the Thoreau approach to life, but...anytime I can save a dollar or spend a dollar on something that I need or want to treat someone to something, that's OK.

Yeah. That's about that.

Posted by: Kevin at October 15, 2005 4:37 PM