« Blog Portfolio v.3.0 | Main | Informal presentations »

December 1, 2005

We The Media, the whole man theory

There's something to really be said about We The Media, but what that is I'm not entirely sure. I think, and this is just personal opinion, that it gave a little too much creedence to something, though important and useful, that is still fledgling and provided too much sentiment against the "establishment."

Do not get me wrong, I am normally one of those who lead the fight against "the man," and am always for new forms of information spreading and qualitative journalism, not quantitative.

As I said in my informal oral presentation, I think the rise of blogging has gone beyond a new form of journalism and instead has become a fad for so many people.

Blogging has been called the "diary of the 21st century," but does that really make it any good? I've used myself as an example a number of times - I'm considered a gaming journalist, but not a very good. As for being a representative of the media in videogames, I'm actually pretty well respected among the community.

The claims that blogging is the next wave in journalism, I can't agree with. Not at this juncture, anyway. I will agree that online press - places like The Washington Post and New York Times going into online newspapers delivered to your inbox - will be the next big thing. Print newspapers are a dying breed and, to be totally honest, people are more willing to read the news online than in a paper anymore. This, however, is for another debate.

It is the whole-man theory. It is each part that makes up the person, much the same with media and journalism. You can't have print and television in this day and age without cyber media. Allow me to clarify - cyber media does not mean "blogging," it means cnn.com and msnbc.com as well as blogging and places like Slate and Drudge Report. Hell, even Slashdot is a media platform.

The new day is upon is, and it is time to begin. We've had our fun with blogging. Seriously, it's time to either let this burn out like so many things before (Pogs, dancing baby, war popularity, stuff like that) or really fix it up.

Part of the beauty of blogging is that it gives everyone a voice, and unfortunately everyone has a voice that they want the world to hear. But, in the same respect, I use what I call the "Howard Stern Postulate" - Nobody is forcing you to listen to him, if you don't like what he says, shut him off. The same goes for blogging - nobody is making you read it, so, if you don't like what you're reading, then stop.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at December 1, 2005 9:18 AM