« Donovan: This isn't any McNabb, that's for sure | Main | Paris: Not a Hilton »

Brann: Not for Breakfast Anymore

“If poetry is to be like a picture then, by a natural transition, it might very appropriately be about a picture.”

How about that. I said this a while ago. I know I said this in one of my papers. I basically used this idea against things like authorial intent and historical criticism because, well, I didn't feel as though there was much to debate. Keats was looking upon an urn and it struck him in a way and moved him enough that he wrote a poem on it. I don't think (and, for the sake of argument, have no basis to this claim right now) he was writing this epic allegory about other events in the world or even his own life. I think, in all honesty, he was making art via art.

Not so much the issue of “Art for the sake of art,” but for the same reason we will write a poem about the changing leaves or the snowfall. We can write a poem about the snow falling to the ground and it isn't mean to represent the Roman empire. Its bloody snow. Its very Freudian in regard to “a cigar is just a cigar.” Not everything means something at all times on multiple levels. I think he just saw an urn that he liked and made up a story.

Haven't any of you ever been to a ball game or a store and you see someone, perhaps a little odd, or a couple and you just make up this amazing and fantastical tale about these people you've never met? Hell, half the people on Facebook make up hilarious friend details.

I just...I'll be quiet.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at February 27, 2007 9:43 AM

My friend details are the envy of all who witness them.

Or if they're not, then they should be.

Posted by: Anna at February 28, 2007 11:50 PM

Yes, they are the envy of Paris and London. Soon everyone will want to be friends with you because of the wild adventures.

Posted by: Kevin at March 1, 2007 1:55 AM