« Old McDonald had a theory... | Main | O Ye Bedford Guide, How I Sleep Better With Thee Under My Pillow »

Keesey: Third verse, not quite the same as the first...

"Most reader-response critics have little interest in authors or intended meanings. The poem exists now. It affects us now."

How? How can I say anything more than that. I do enjoy Keesey and I don't care that he waters things down. Complexity is nice, but simplicity is sweeter. I know some people *cough*Jay*cough* have focused strongly on reader response theory. I haven't spent, or so I feel, enough time with it. As I said last time, I've found myself to be more of a formalist, but I also felt it was time for a new bag.

I guess, as Dr. Jerz and Dave learned last week, I also have an inner-reader-responder which causes me to want to throw my text book across rooms and at people who assigned readings from it (just kidding, Dr. Jerz). It evoked a reaction and deep emotion in me, but I'm not making a case study of myself, so, why should I consider reader response? My response wasn't important, in the grand scheme, to class discussion because it wasn't getting to the meat of the work. I wasn't getting to the fruit, only the rind.

I do think I need to spend more time working with Reader Response. That is all.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at February 19, 2007 10:30 PM

I used your quote in my critical exercise.

I kind of said:
The time this story was written allowed for Melville to get a response from his readers to agree with him on antislavery; however, today we look at it in another perspective seeing that the pressure of the narration is forcing us to only look at one particular viewpoint.

Also, do you believe that authors can persuade or otherwise work upon their audiences to receive a certain response from their readers?

Because within Melville's story, the narrative is forced and seems to be stressing a specific idea to recieve a particular response.

Posted by: Denamarie at February 21, 2007 10:19 PM