« Life's Poetics: Life Lessons and Other Assorted Goodies About Me | Main | Keesey: Third verse, not quite the same as the first... »

Old McDonald had a theory...

McDonald's essay on "The Tempest," or at least to me, became a thoroughly enjoyable read. Perhaps it says something about me or the way I enjoy essays to be written, but I appreciated the demarcation with the numerals as the points which are being addressed.

I don't know why, but I found comfort in McDonald addressing repetition right off the bat. Really, I have no rhyme or reason for it, I just found that to be important, especially the evidences presented by McDonald when he said "from the confused echoes of the first scene ("We split, we split!") through Prospero's re-creation of the past ("Twelve years since, Miranda, twelve years since").

Perhaps, as some may have read in my last entry, I discussed the poetic justice in my life. I guess, maybe, the reason I enjoy McDonald addressing repetition, especially early, is because he highlights the fact that everything is balanced and repeated - essentially the yin and yan of Shakespeare. Perhaps, but I'm not certain. Perhaps further explication on this later this week.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at February 19, 2007 10:07 PM