« We'll not discuss the poetic justice in our discussing The Tempest while a storm is headed our way. | Main | Keesey's Intro: Chapter 2 as a study of what Chapter 2 is, why it is and how Chapter 2 is integral to the study of Chapter 2 without considering »

Willy Shakes: The Obedience and Political Equation

"Absolutism's enhancement of political obedience as loyalty provides shelter from 'winter's drops,' but the drops do not represent a 'natural affliction.' Instead they represent Gonzalo's ideologically determined sorrow for culpable acts which were themselves determined by the idea of obedience."

As Yachnin wrote this at the close of his essay I couldn't help be struck a little. People always say (myself included) how difficult it is to translate Shakespeare into a modern style or format. Numerous people will proclaim that film doesn't do the play justice and that so many things get lost in the translation. While I agree that reading the play is usually better when it comes to my boy Willy Shakes, I can't help but draw similarities to more modern works, especially when examining absolutist governmental entities.

Of course, my first instincts lead to the likes of Orwell and his prophecy of the over-reaching government ultimately causing its own demise, as well as people like Huxley in the attempts to create a perfect society, as compared to pacifying one, and be one true body. Even the film "Gattaca" addressed the issues of a perfect society. But for this political problem, Yachnin notes the philosophy of absolutism "as loyalty." It falls into the problem of the classic quote that "those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither."

Once again, the brilliance of Shakespeare is shown in his ability to satirize politics (i.e. Queen Elizabeth) and the motives of the time...

You know something? I had a point in here, somewhere. I can't find it anymore. Maybe I'm just tired or something. I've gone back and started this over and over again. In short: Those who blindly follow any authority are victims of their own folly, as it only provides a false sense of real security and quality.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at February 12, 2007 10:58 PM