« Don Keesey: Poststructuralism...criticism...and other isms. Ism. | Main | Liz Wright: I went to high school with gal by that name...there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell she would ever write something like this. »

March 27, 2007

Derrida: I'm not going to BS you guys...this just made me fall over and spin in a circle, kind of like the Stooges

"The concept of the sign is determined by this opposition: through and throughout the totality of its history and by its system. But we cannot do without the concept of the sign, we cannot give up this metaphysical complicity without also giving up the critique we are directing against this complicity, without the risk of erasing differences [altogether] in the self-identity of a signified reducing into itself its signifier, or, what amounts to the same thing, simply expelling it outside itself."

Seriously, is it just me or do these words not work with one another. Maybe I'm just tired. Well, I know I'm tired, but can that be the sole cause of my confusion. My droopy eyes are signifying that I need sleep and the opposition to that is the totality of blogging. Sleep is just a theoretical idea that is instilled in people early on so that we are all controlled for a portion of the day. The metaphysical belief is that sleep is totally unnecessary and is nothing more than a man-made construct of control. Human biological need of sleep has been conditionally self-imposed.

The sign is the rambling and overtly satiric tone. The signified is my need to stop blogging and sleep. The opposition is the need to get a decent grade and the totality of not wanting to fail.

Oh. I think I get it, now. The theory is reductivist in that whole "we're all part of the circle of life, Simba" way - the signified becomes the signifier and projects inexorably outward until it can expand no longer, in which point it collapses in on itself and the cycle begins.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at March 27, 2007 12:44 AM

No question -- this is complex stuff, requiring lots of prior knowledge and demanding concentration.

But the same can be said for advanced material in any field. (That's why it's saved for advanced classes.)

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at March 27, 2007 10:06 AM