« When on Spring Break and horribly sick you spend a lot of time sitting at a computer sipping tea and wanting to die. | Main | Intertexuality...sounds kida sexy, doesn't it? »

March 12, 2007

Tricksy Russians, yes.

Oh ho ho. Those pesky Russians. Always with the words and the trickery.

When I found out were were reading Nabokov this term I got a little giddy. I'd never read anything from him before. I even overheard someone in class (name withheld to save embarrassment) say "oh, wow, this is only 40 pages of poem, the rest is all commentary and criticism."

I had a hard time believing that the text would have been set-up the way it was without there being some sort of joke. I read the back cover to see if perhaps I missed anything. It was talking about Shade, the famous American...

That's when my eyes lit up a little. I thought "wait, this sounds terribly fishy..." and went about my business. It took me about 4 pages of the foreword until I went "Ohhhh, You sneaky (expletive deleted)."

It is funny, though, because I had to do a similar-type assignment back in high school. We were required to write a one-act Shakespearean play and write our own foreword and criticism, but from the perspective of an outsider, doing as best we could to masque the face that we were writing it.

Oh, Vlad...you trickster, you.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at March 12, 2007 10:35 AM