« Emergence and Stylization/Juul 2 | Main | Games in the Classroom: Morality Through Gaming »

January 16, 2008

Blog Portfolio, Vol 10, edit 1.X - because jokes involving binary are funny and nerdy

The blogging portfolio, version 1.x. I couldn't help but go for the geeky joke in the title. The original being the old "there are 10 types of people in this world - those who can understand binary and those who can't." This is one of those instances where Wikipedia will be a great friend to you to explain it if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I cannot help but express how impressed I am with the other student blogging portfolios. I had commented on Derek and Ashley's blogs, specifically, for their portfolio building skills. I cannot claim that I share the level of discipline that they do, and I tip my hat to the absolute depth and breath of their explanations and introductions.

While mine is nowhere near as dense, I like to think that my portfolio is perfunctory, if not pretty.

Coverage

While this section has grown some, it could still use a few entries I'm missing and just haven't had the time to run with between work schedules and everything else going on. I am, generally, proud of my entries, though. I am very appreciative of the feedback I have been getting from the rest of the class.

Opening Remarks
Shanahan's "Bow, Nigger"
Strongbadia is a wonderful vacation spot
Koster and the Glorious Revolution
The History of Videogames
A Return to the Source...
Jerz and Adams...
IF/if/id = Harmony
Cadre and Short
September 12 and Madrid
Are Games Art?
Plotkin's "Shade"
Laurel - part 1
Emergence and Stylization/Juul 2
Juul, not to be confused with Jewel...
Laurels for Laurel

Depth

I always feel as though I could just copy/past the coverage section here, but instead I pick the ones I really like and spend the most time with. They may not even be the most coherent, but they were the posts I had the most passion and vigor for writing.

Shanahan's "Bow, Nigger"
Koster and the Glorious Revolution
IF/if/id = Harmony
September 12 and Madrid
Are Games Art?
Laurel - part 1
Emergence and Stylization/Juul 2

Timeliness

This is, if nothing else, my weak point. I'm trying to get in front of the proverbial eight-ball, instead of constantly being behind, but I haven't been doing to well here. Maybe I can finish strong.

Are Games Art?
Shanahan's "Bow, Nigger"
Laurel - part 1
IF/if/id = Harmony
Emergence and Stylization/Juul 2
Laurels for Laurel

Xenoblogging

The comments I have been receiving have been wonderful, and I can only hope the comments I leave are equally as helpful. I understand that I tend to leave more questions than comments in the other student blogs, but I hope they are constructive questions that could spark discussion.

Derek
Ashley
Brandon
Zach
Ashley
Ashley
Derek
Derek
Ashley
Ashley
Brandon

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at January 16, 2008 12:09 AM

Kevin, you've done a good job combining a list with general commentary, so that it's easy for me to see where you have been thinking about your online contributions. I agree that we've seen some excellent online work, and I'm glad you've taken a moment to recognizing the value of your interaction with your peers. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 17, 2008 4:14 PM