« IF/if/id = harmony. | Main | September 12 and Madrid »

January 8, 2008

Cadre and Short

I have to say, I found the Cadre game extremely fun (and funny!).

Unlike the Cave Adventure and even Peasant's Quest, I found this game to be a little more logical and straight forward, but it also was somewhat limited in scope. While the likes of Peasant's Quest has level of visual representation, it also leads to confusion because the matrix of the design continues to loop and repeat, which can be misleading.

Cadre's game, instead, made some slightly more logical sense because it had a theme based closely in reality and was easy to play. Possibly because it was so linear (the possible variables were limited and you didn't get lost walking in the woods), it was more approachable, but it didn't make it any less of a successful venture.

Short's game, however, took me a little longer to get the hang of. I understood it, but I didn't. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what strings we were to assemble to engage the statue. Of course, some humorous responses could be found to actions such as >take galatea

Very simply, I created a string of "a galatea about life," "a galatea about death," "a galatea about love," upon which I reached a conclusion. I clicked on the link to the left of the game and saw some of the other potential strings that could be asked of Galatea. I played through a few more times, attempting, in my own weird way, to try to develop some kind of odd relationship between Galatea and the player - either by the player hugging or kissing Galatea. It certainly made from some interesting discussion.

I can't help but appreciate Short's game more, but differently, than Cadre's. While Cadre's was easy to play and quick to learn, it doesn't draw me in to play again and again. Short's, however, does. I want to see where the various dialog trees branch off to. I want to see the various responses available. The open-world appeal of Short's keeps me coming back, whereas Cadre's was more action oriented and felt like a big joke, building and building.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at January 8, 2008 5:32 PM

Hmmm. It is funny how that is the exact opposite to me. While I probably would never play either of the games again just because IFs just are not my preference, I did enjoy Cadre's more. I enjoyed it more because I could actually play it and not feel frustrated. I guess a game's difficulty level could possible lead to more 'fun'.

Short's game however could not catch my attention. While I kept trying to figure out 9:05, the conversation in Short was just horrendous to me. Not literally just I do not like to play games with soooo much conversation. I like more of an action based game. It may be attention span or it just may be opinion.

I do understand where you are coming from though. If a game poses no challenge to you, it usually is no fun. That’s why big kids do not play little kids games. They are just not complex enough to stimulate our minds.

Posted by: Ashley F at January 10, 2008 5:19 PM