« | Main | Shanhan's "Bow, Nigger" »

January 6, 2008

Opening remarks and so forth

From the start of the course, I felt I had to email Dr. Jerz with a certain level of terrible confusion as to what exactly was wanted.

I think I'm getting what he wants now, so...this should be fun.

In regard to the opening activities from the first two days, I had the following to say:

In regard to the definition and expectations of the course, I can't say I'm terribly surprised by things. I've had Dr. J for a few other classes and it seems to be falling into the typical pattern (although I admit I didn't have him for an out-and-out Lit. class, so, the RRRR sequence has thrown me some).

I admit that I, potentially, have a little bit of (to borrow from Strong Bad) "a leg up on the pile" because of my involvement with New Media Journalism, specifically in relation to games. I have been running a videogame media website for 6 years now, and I have had enough experience in the wonderful world of dealing with PR people, game developers and publishers, designers, artists, etc. (Which has allowed me to draw some distinctions from Koster, but that's for later).

I don't want to feel as though I know all of this already, because I don't. Certainly the Koster book has shown me a different side to games than I ever really thought about. I always took a position that story and graphics were integral parts of a game, beyond the actual construction (patterns) of the game. Gah. I keep getting ahead of myself.

Thankfully, I am not jumping into a pool of terminology that I am terribly unfamiliar with. This should be interesting.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at January 6, 2008 11:37 PM

Any time you're feeling unsure, please feel free to send me a note or post a comment. In the classroom I would be able to see a furrowed brow or an eyeroll, but for an online class I'll be depending on your feedback. I'm glad to know you're feeling you're getting the hang of things.

I'm sure you'll do fine. I'm delighted to hear that, even with your considerable experience, you're already learning something new.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 7, 2008 1:03 AM