« Koster and the glorious revolution of Game Design (pt 1) | Main | A return to the source: Koster, vol. II »

January 7, 2008

The History of Video Games!

I don't think I have ever heard or seen a more apt description of the N-Gage, the worst system every created.

"This means that devices that try to arrange controls for both purposes end up compromising, so that consumers would prefer to purchase two separate objects (each of which is optimized for one purpose) than to buy a single gadget that doesn’t do either job quite as well."

This, I admit, is more or less why you will never see me playing a game on my phone. I enjoy games, and I enjoy technology, and I love my phone, but I don't want to play games on it. If I'm that starved for entertainment in some remote location where I don't have access to a pen and paper or the internet or my game systems or, hell, other people...just let me know that my life has gotten to that point.

Nokia, when marketing the N-Gage, tried to create a new fad of "Side talking" because you had to turn the phone on it's side to use it as a phone. Naturally, all variety of "talking into a taco" jokes and associations were made.

I would also like to draw my ire upon Dr. Jerz's claim that the N-Gage worked fairly well - any game system where you have to remove the battery pack to change games, does not qualify under the banner of "worked well."

I don't believe I had read as interesting and humorous take on the earliest of videogames. I know somewhere around here I still have my Adversary Console, along with my Colecovision, and Odyssey (represent!). There is something to be said about these classic games. I can only hope that we will also focus on the massive failures in the game industry.

Posted by KevinMcGinnis at January 7, 2008 9:34 PM

I don't have a major section planned about the video game crash of the 80s, though if this whole course were about the history of video games, I'd definitely include it. Were you thinking of, perchance, E.T.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rt_3_bQVJU

Sounds like this could be a good topic for class presentation.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 7, 2008 10:37 PM