I Can't Get No Satisfaction (From The Law)

"'The law,' Mr. Shiftlet said and spit.  'It's the law that don't satisfy me'" (O'Connor 58).

After being legally married to Lucynell, Mr. Shiftlet says this to her mother.  Wouldn't a red flag be going off in her mind?  Her daughter's new husband just said that he gets no satisfaction from the law.  Wouldn't that mean that he would have no problem breaking the laws? 

Mr. Shiftlet was a shady character in my mind from the beginning.  Even though the mother believed that he was no one to be afraid of, the manner in which he acted made him very strange.  He did not like to answer questions and he would always go off on some philosophical insight.  Now he's saying that he doesn't like the law?  Hmmm...sounds like a possible criminal to me. 

Now, granted I cannot say that everyone who disagrees with the law is a criminal, but there is evidence in the text that demonstrates Mr. Shiftlet's unusual behavior and uneasiness about answering questions.  Who knows?!  This could be The Misfit making a comeback, only this time, one of his victims fought back and hurt his arm.  It is just very odd that the mother trusts him so easily and even lets him (forces him is more like it) to marry her daughter.

But I try and I try and I try and I try...I can't get no...I can't get no...

Katie Vann said:

I also thought it was really odd how the old lady allowed her daught to marry Mr. Shiftlet. Her daughter had lived with her for almost thirty years, and probably she has been the only one there with the old lady for the past fifteen since her husband died. Why would her mother let her go and marry a complete stranger? Or as Lauren said, force them to get married? I think she was expecting Mr. Shiftlet to marry Lucynell and then just continue to stay and work around the house. Still, even with those expectations, how could Lucynell's mother know she could trust Mr. Shiftlit when he hadn't been around that long?

Katie Vann said:

He reminded me of the Misfit too, he had the same type of tendencies, I like how you say he could be the Misfit, only armless. And I agree the mother should have woken up and smelled the roses. I think she was just too desperate for there to be good people, she preferred to be blind, than to see the truth. Oh yeah, and thanks for getting that song stuck in my head
:-P