I'm Foreshadowing...A Blog Entry

"'I wouldn't take my children in any direction with a criminal like that aloose in it.  I couldn't answer to my conscience if I did'" (O'Connor 1).

In Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man Is Hard To Find, the grandmother makes the above statement while talking to her grandson.  When I read that statement I thought: "foreshadowing".  It is dangerous for characters to make claims like that, because karma is usually a main factor in a story. 

It follows through.  Though it was purely accidental, the grandmother did inevitably lead her grandchildren and the rest of her family to the Misfit and their untimely deaths. 

Foreshadowing...on the first page of a story!  Why is it so significant?  I honestly do not think most readers would notice it.  When you begin to read a story, you are just getting comfortable with the text and dialogue, and you do not think too much about other elements.  I almost skipped it over myself.  But catching these things early on can set a different mood to the story.   

To think, we read through 22 pages to find out the ending when it was really staring us in the face on the first page.  Sneaky writers.