Shakespeare Loves His Stars

"Ford:  Stand not amazed.  Here is no remedy.

In love the heavens themselves do guide the state;

Money buys lands, and wives are sold by fate" (Shakespeare 228-230).

In an earlier entry, I talked about Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and a line that Romeo said in Act V of the play:  "Then I defy you, stars." 

Shakespeare really wrote for his time period.  In many of his plays he talks about fate and the heavens and the control that they have over mortals.  Almost anytime something dramatic or surprising happens in his plays, it is blamed (for lack of a better word) on the stars.  Everyone was surprised that Anne chose Fenton (so was I; I actually forgot about that character) and Ford's explanation was that there was nothing they could do about it because it was their destiny.  Fate controlled everything.  If something good happened, it was fate.  If something bad happened, that was fate.  These people really seemed to think that they had no control over their lives, but throughout the entire play The Merry Wives of Windsor, Mistress Ford and Mistress Page control the humiliation of Falstaff.  I am just amazed at how devoted they were to their beliefs of that time period.        

The stars want you to click here.

Katie Vann said:

I really liked your comment Lauren. I think that even though Mrs. Page and Mrs. Ford control their actions against Falstaff, they can't control how their actions affected Mr. Ford. In a way they have some control while on the other hand they can't control what Mr. Ford doesn in reaction to their behavior.