Stop and Smell the Dead Roses

"BECAUSE I could not stop for Death,    
He kindly stopped for me;    
The carriage held but just ourselves    
And Immortality" (Dickinson 1-4).

The first two lines struck me because it seems as though the narrator is too busy being wrapped up in her own life to stop and do much of anything.  But death most of the time is unexpected and is really the only thing that can stop the cycle of everyday life.  You most likely already figured that out so I am going to move on to my second analysis.

The last two lines in the first stanza are quite peculiar.  Depending on your religious or spiritual beliefs, you may or may not associate immortality with death.  As human beings, we are considered mortals; we are all inevitably going to die.  Being immortal implies everlasting life.  So why are Death and Immortality riding in the same carriage?  Does the narrator have to make a choice between Heaven and Hell here?  But then, Death is not portrayed in an evil manner in this context.  So it's not so much a choice between Heaven and Hell, but life and death.  Are Death and Immortality the same person?            

Deana Kubat said:

i feel that death is just one of those things that people never prepare for and when there is no time for even the thought of it because its not an every day thought, that is when it hits us the hardest. whether it is our own death or the death of someone close to us