« The AP Guide to News Writing, Ch 1 | Main | Elements of Journalism, Intro, Ch 1 & 2 »

AP Guide to News Writing, Ch 2 & 3

I really liked chapter 2 because I felt like it gave some examples of how to turn wordy sentences into shorter more to the point ones, which I find most helpful for the purposes of actually learning to do it. As I said after blogging on chapter 1, being clear and concise is hard for me. But, telling me that I need to be clear and concise and actually showing me how to be are two very different things. So I am really that that the AP guide book gives me some idea of ways to do it. Putting it into practice will still take a lot of work, but at least after seeing it, it seems more feasible.

Chapter 3 was also interesting to read because it is comforting to know real journalists have a hard time writing leads too. That is another really difficult part for me. And it is usually a result of me not knowing what to focus on in my article. Usually once I can figure out what is most important the lead is a bit easier, but in general I still have a pretty hard time.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 26, 2005 11:58 PM

Lorin,

These tips are really helpful. Aren't wordy sentences the worst? What is awful, we have to go from Lit to Newswriting, and we want to be wordy....

I am sure in time we will learn to correct this habit :)

Posted by: Katie Aikins at September 27, 2005 12:22 AM