« EL227 Blog Portfolio | Main | Media Analysis »

Elements of Journalism, more on Ch 1

Part of this chapter addresses what journalists call "The Awareness Instinct" meaning that "people crave news out of basic instinct" and that we "need to know what's going on over the next hill." I have to say that I somewhat disagree with this idea. I do think that there are people who really do want to know what is going on around them, but I also think there are way too many people these days who don't. People might care if it is something that directly affects them, but otherwise a lot of people are so wrapped up in themselves and their own lives that they don't really care about what is going around in other places.

Even I have to admit I don't know nearly as much as I should about what is going on in this world. I have only a vague knowledge of most major issues/events and that is about the extent of it. I hardly ever read the paper and I never watch TV news. I never watch TV news because it depresses me. That is one time when to me "ignorance is bliss." And reading the newspaper is tedious. I hate flipping through to find the other half of a story. But, it is also something that I reprimand myself for, because I feel I should be more informed because I know how many other people there are like me who don't have a clue about what's going on in the world, and it bothers me when people are too wrapped up in their own problems to realize there are things a lot worse happening

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 27, 2005 10:06 PM