« Talk About Depressing | Main | The Role of Adam »

First Reporter vs. Second Reporter

FIRST REPORTER (writing). Under the heavy artillery fire of the State's attorney's brilliant cross-questioning, the accused woman's defense was badly riddled...
SECOND REPORTER (writing). Undaunted by the Prosecution's machine-gun attack, the defendant was able to maintain her position of innocence...

What is perceived by the FIRST REPORTER seems really different from the SECOND REPORTER?

I find this really interesting. Which do you all think is closer to the truth? Why is there such a difference?

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 15, 2005 1:32 AM

That's interesting. I really don't know why they have opposing views all of the time. Maybe it just show the many ways that the audience could percieve Helen's character. Or maybe, Treadwell is showing that a person's serious situation may just be a story to others. I think that is evident when the audience laughs at Helen out loud in the court room scene as well. That was a good point Lorin.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at September 15, 2005 8:46 AM

I agree with you Andy, I think the reason the reporters are in the play is to show the different ways the young woman can be perceived. I also believe that her life is just a column on tomorrow's front page.

Posted by: Sean Runt at September 15, 2005 1:06 PM