« I think you are doomed to fail Dr. Jerz's classes if you aren't obsessed with blogging!!! | Main | The AP Guide to News Writing, Ch 1 »

Here goes nothing! - The Reporter's Notebook

I figured the best place to start was with the reading assignments that we have had so far. The first one was from "The Reporter's Notebook." So here goes nothing...

While this book is, as Prof. Jerz pointed out, obviously aimed at a younger audience, I found the basic journalism vocabulary quite useful. I knew a lot of the words already, but there were a few, such as banner and masthead that I had never heard before. Knowing the jargon is very important when learning about something you aren't that familiar with. I know there were times when I was a yearbook editor when I used words that my staff members didn't recognize, and then wow could things get confusing. It makes me more comfortable to know the jargon used before diving head first into something new.

I also think the section on commonly misspelled words will come in handy, even if we are all college students who shouldn't need it. Spelling is something that a lot of people (including myself) lack confidence and ability in these days, and it is always good to be sure not to make a silly mistake in something that will be published. That could cause readers to lose faith in your newspaper (or anything else that you write).

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 26, 2005 6:16 PM

Lorin, I think that both of those sections were interesting. But I also liked the section about Story Ideas. Even though they were geared more to the younger audience, I still feel that they give you a lot of ideas when you can't think very well.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 28, 2005 1:26 AM