« Oh the irony! | Main | Here goes nothing! - The Reporter's Notebook »

I think you are doomed to fail Dr. Jerz's classes if you aren't obsessed with blogging!!!

I'm not going to lie. This blog portfolio is due on Wednesday and I have a grand total of one entry for my newswriting class. So I know on the "timeliness" factor, my grade won't be so hot. And doing it so late won't give me much chance on the "discussions" bit either. So I take full responsibility for my lack of "participation" in a class that I hate. But, I was wondering how anyone else is able to keep up with readings, articles, workbook exercises, and manages to sit at their computer all day blogging about all of those things and stimulating intellectual discussions with other members of the class? Between this class and Drama as Lit, blogging seems like a 24 hour job to me. For lit it is not so bad because we actually discuss in class things based on what we blogged about and I actually have something to say. If I had been keeping up with blog entries in newswriting, which I didn't even realizing we were suppose to be doing so extensively until just before the weekend, I wouldn't have had much to say. All my entries would probably look something like this:

"This is so frustrating! I have no idea what I am doing, and no matter how much a reporter tries 'to make the important interesting' I still find the news extremely BORING!!!"

Don't get me wrong, it isn't like I haven't learned anything, I just don't like sitting in front of a computer 24/7 to write about something I don't like doing in the first place. I just find it frustrating. Which is why I am convinced that you have to be obsessed with blogging to enjoy/do well in this class.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 26, 2005 4:40 PM

Yeah, I'm not completely anti-blogging or anything, but my timeliness grade isn't going to look so good either. I'm still learning and doing good work, but I'm afraid that my portfolio will not be representative of that. I don't hate the class, but it does sometimes feel like a, "24/7 job."
Maybe I'm just a freshman and I'm not used to the workload, but there were some upper classmen playing volleyball and they invited me to join... I told them, "I don't have time," to which one of them responded, "Don't have time? You're in college!?" Then again, he probably doesn't have to make blogging portfolios.

Posted by: David Denniner at September 26, 2005 5:29 PM

Thanks for your honest post, Lorin. I hope I can respond helpfully.

Perhaps some of your upperclass friends can assure you that the stress you are starting to feel is a fairly normal part of college (whether the work in question is blogging, problem sets, lab reports, or what have you).

EL227 is such a big class that I don't get to interact very much with people on an individual basis there, so I always look forward to the blog portfolios because it's often my first chance to get a "big picture" view of a student's response to the course. At the very least this portfolio assignment has given you the chance to talk about yoru disengagement with the subject matter. It seems to me that the problem isn't so much the blogging but the subject matter that's at issue.

Just because in EL250 I ask for 200-word responses to the literary readings, that doesn't mean that I'm expecting that much writing in your journalism entreis. I don't have any length or frequency minimums on the blogging requirements, so don't feel obligated to pour out tons and tons of words.

I think that your journalism blogging would be more productive if you were to blog about what, precisely you find frustrating or confusing about the coursework, so that I or your peers could give you individual feedback or try to adjust the course content to address your concerns.

Or, if you'd rather not make your concerns public, please come to me during my office hours, where I hope I will be able to help. I've got an office hour tomorrow (Tues) at 2, and I had a 11am meeting cancelled, so I could also meet with you then, if you like.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 26, 2005 5:55 PM

Lorin

The first time I ever did blogging, it was overwhelming. However, just put on a brave face and post thoughtful reflections. I feel as though Dr. Jerz is going to be ok if they are not as lengthy as Drama's - just as long as you give it sincere effort.

We're going to get through this semester. :)

Posted by: Katie Aikins at September 27, 2005 12:27 AM

I totally agree with you Lorin. Between 16 credits and softball, i am overwhelmed with almost everything. The blogging is very tedious, considering we have to blog about everything we read. I didnt even know we had to blog about the readings is EL227 either Lorin. O well, guess we have alot of blogging to do on our hands!

Posted by: Denamarie at September 27, 2005 12:43 PM

My "Timeliness" grade won't be very good either, Lorin. I had saved all my responses as Word documents instead of posting them in my blog. Probably not the best idea...

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at September 27, 2005 5:58 PM

Kayla, I'm sure if you tell him that you were typing them up as Word documents that he won't take too much off. But, it won't get you many points in the discussion part, since none of your entries could stimulate lots of convos before or after classes. At least you have them done...=0)Try not to worry too much! (Isn't it funny that I can't take my own advice?...Sigh)

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at September 27, 2005 9:24 PM

I hate to say that I'm a freshman and it's hard, but I'm a freshman and it's hard. I wish that I could be experienced in blogging but the only way to get better as it is do what Katie said and "post through it." My timeliness is off as well because I did not know that we were to be blogging the whole timel. That's no excuse though. I'm not one to make excuses and I am stepping up and deserve the grade I get. Just to make that clear. But, it's a bit, okay, a lot overwhelming but I think once I get the hang of it, I 'll be able to have fun with it like Katie does.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 28, 2005 1:32 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I think my plan from now on will be to set aside a half hour to an hour every day just for blogging. And maybe I should do it in the library because here at the dorm it is so easy to get distracted! If it becomes part of my daily routine maybe I won't be up until 2:30 in the mornings still trying to do HW and study! Of course, if I am able to do that, I'm sure there will be work for my other classes that will keep me up late....talk about a never ending battle!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at September 28, 2005 2:36 AM