« A Good King with a Fatal Flaw | Main | I think you are doomed to fail Dr. Jerz's classes if you aren't obsessed with blogging!!! »

Oh the irony!

OEDIPUS Then had I never come to shed
My father's blood nor climbed my mother's bed;
The monstrous offspring of a womb defiled,
Co-mate of him who gendered me, and child.
Was ever man before afflicted thus,
Like Oedipus.

It is so ironic (and very sad for Oedipus) that the efforts both he and his mother made in order to avoid the prophecy they each heard from coming true, they only brought it closer and closer to becoming. If Jocasta had not given the baby away to be killed, Oedipus would have always known who his parents were and wouldn't have had to run away from his fake "parents" only to come in contact with his real parents and fulfill the prophecy.
I find it really interesting how different many people in our society view fate, in comparison to the way the Greeks did in Sophocles time. I know many people today believe that nothing is set in stone and they can change their path by the decisions that they make. But, in the play, Oedipus and Jocasta had a false sense of control over their fate. They thought they could prevent it by their actions, but in reality, the end remained the same. This made sense to people in Sophocles' time, but I don't think people today like the idea that they are not in control of their own lives.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 25, 2005 4:22 PM

I see your point about fate then and today, but is there really a difference? It all comes down to whether a person truly believes, whole-heartedly, in fate. If someone believes in fate, they believe that everything is going to happen in their lives that is supposed to happen, and nothing that they do can change that. People today, who don't believe in fate, KNOW that they are in control of their lives.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at September 27, 2005 2:43 PM

I totally agree and feel strongly about fate. I believe there is a reason behind every single thing you do and every person you meet. Oedipus was doomed since the profecy was told. I don't think there was anything he could do about it because it was in the hands of fate.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at September 27, 2005 4:49 PM

Fate is a very strong feeling that you can not deny. There is a reason for everything that happens. If it was meant to be, then it was meant to be. He was destined to kill his father and marry his mother.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 27, 2005 6:10 PM