« Young Woman & Karen | Main | First Reporter vs. Second Reporter »

Talk About Depressing

LAWYER FOR DEFENSE. Six years without one quarrel! Six years! Gentlemen of the jury, I ask you to consider this fact! Six years of married life without a quarrel!

What a stupid lawyer to try to use this as a defense. I'm no relationship expert, but not fighting about anything is usually an indication that the marriage is not happy because there are always things that bother us. If there are never any arguments between people who live together, that is probably because the people keep their true feelings bottled up inside...oh and I just had another idea! Maybe the bottle is symbolic of all those feelings that the Young Woman has, but kept to herself for so many years. And so she finally had to explode to let those feelings out.

LAWYER FOR PROSECUTION (reading). In the matter of the State of ---- vs. Helen Jones, I Richard Roe, being of sound mind, do herein depose and state that I know the accused, Helen Jones…

And one more thing...isn't it sad that the one person she loved and who finally made her feel free is the one who lead to her being convicted? It's not enough that she has suffered so much all her life and been so depressed...she is also betrayed by the only one she truly ever cared about, the only one that mattered to her. She can’t even find peace at her life’s end. Talk about depressing.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at September 14, 2005 1:56 PM

I totally see where you're coming from. While I read that part I was like screaming at Helen in my mind to tell the court she wasn't happy at all. When the defense lawyer asked her if her and her husband had a "happy marriage" and she said "Yes, sir", I thought I was going to kill her, haha.

Your bottle idea is awesome. I didn't pick up on that, but I definatly agree that the bottle filled with stones given to her by her lover whom was the only person that seemed to make her happy, represented her emotions. When striking Mr. Jones over the head and breaking the glass, I think she was finally breaking free from her prison-like marriage.

Posted by: Amanda at September 14, 2005 2:24 PM

Ohh, one more thing. One of the meanings of the lily is "return to happiness" and "it's heavenly to be with you" (http://www.800florals.com/care/meaning.asp. I think that might be significant as well, since throughout the entire play, Helen was really only happy with her life when she was with the "man". Do you think Treadwell purposely used a lily to put in the glass bowl?

Posted by: Amanda at September 14, 2005 2:30 PM

Isn't it also ironic that the title of the song Helen and her Lover listen too during their affair translates to mean, "Little Heaven." It's as if Helen is in her own little heaven, but besides that there is none.

Posted by: David Denninger at September 14, 2005 4:15 PM

I agree with you guys, I didn't think that telling the jury that the couple never fought was a good idea at all. I made a connection immediately that if they never quarreled, clearly one spouse has all the power. Now being that we read and know the background, we know that it was her husband who had all of the power, but why didn't the jury pick up on that?

And the bottle idea is very good, I mean, especially because when people keep all of their emotions inside, we say that they keep everything "bottled up inside". I didn't even pick up on that though. That was a really good observation.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at September 14, 2005 7:01 PM

I agree with the bottle illustration as well. But maybe the stones inside have a significant meaning too? Maybe the stones represented the dark secrets that she was keeping from her husband. Or maybe even they showed that Helen has had a "stoney" path of life up untill this point.

I think that Amanda hit the nail on the head though. The stones were breaking out of the bottle at the point of contact. (A little gross, sorry) That's what Helen was doing breaking out of her bottle of life.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 14, 2005 9:04 PM

When she heard that "Little Heaven" song I think it sort of inspired her to kill her husband. Ironic, since according to the priest, it will send her to hell.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at September 14, 2005 9:49 PM

The young woman, I thought, always had a reason to snap and just kill the husband. Even though I think it terrible for Helen that she gets a crappy lawyer and the prosecution is grilling her about this. I feel even more sorry for her because her so called lover ratted her out, even though she love him and saw absolutely no wrong in him.

Posted by: Kevin Hinton at September 15, 2005 1:30 PM

i think that the young woman really should have thought about 'if i kill my husband am i going to have my freedom, or will i get caught and go to jail and never have freedom for the rest of my life'. I dont know, thats what i think.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 15, 2005 2:44 PM