« Lorin's Blogging Portfolio EL 250 | Main | AP Guide to News Writing - Ch 5-7 »

A Depressing Comedy

KENNY. So I'm sitting there cartoon birdies flying around my head -

I love how the language is used to turn this drama into a comedy. If the dialogue was different, this play would be very serious and rather depressing. The situation is certainly not very funny. But, the characters and what they say makes this play undoubtedly funny. Almost so much so that you feel bad for laughing so hard when such awful things are occurring on the stage like people being stabbed and shot. I canít wait to see it performed!

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 3, 2005 3:30 PM

Yeah Lorin I totally agree. I mean like amnesia isn't funny but the characters really made me laugh about it.

I forgot it is going to be performed!! I can't wait either, it's going to be really funny.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at October 3, 2005 8:41 PM

Lorin, I think that I like the lightheartedness of the serious situations in the play the best. The author kept this violent situations in a joking manor. I think that this is what keeps us from not understanding the play. I mean, when Gertie stabs Limping Man in the back, there's nothing funny about that except we can't understand what she's saying. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see it either.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 4, 2005 8:14 PM

I found the play serious anyways-- My blog is all about how because of obvious seriousness of these peoples problems I never thought it funny. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I read it... lol.

Posted by: David Denninger at October 4, 2005 11:09 PM

I did not find the play to be too serious or too funny. I liked this play alot. It kept my attention while making me a little emotional.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at October 5, 2005 12:56 AM