« Word Choice | Main | Tribune Review, Oct. 11 edition »

Cheese

Faustus
Oft have I thought to have done so, but the Devil
threatened to tear me to pieces if I named God, to fetch me,
body and soul, if I once gave ear to divinity. And now
'ts too late. Gentleman, away, lest you perish with
me.

It's interesting how the Devil tempts Faustus and therefore Faustus becomes his follower. Then the Devil threatens him and Faustus is scared. But, repentance is all that God requires to forgive Faustus. Why does Faustus prefer to follow the threatening tyrannical power, instead of a loving forgiving one? Power has a lot to do with it, he feels powerful because of his alliance with the Devil. Which is ironic because the Devil has power over Faustus, but God would not have exerted tyranical power over him.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 11, 2005 5:11 PM

Lorin, note also that even at this late stage, Faustus is concerned with the well-being of his friends -- he sends them away so that they won't be hurt. That suggests there is good in Faustus.

Those of you who are interested in this question -- why Faustus doesn't repent -- might want to look at lines in which Faustus is actively debating that very question.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's discussion!

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 11, 2005 5:31 PM

That's true! Faustus sells his soul for power and itís the Devil who truly has the power all along. I guess true power lies in the hands of whoever can take you to hell.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 11, 2005 8:13 PM