« The Importance of Rhyming | Main | Word Choice »

Elements of Journalism, Ch 6-8

When studying government and U.S. history in high school we always discussed the roles of journalism to a certain extent. It is interesting to study them in more depth. From these chapters I was not only re-familiarized with the roles of journalism as a watchdog, a public forum, and a gatekeeper, but I learned about the ways in which the media fulfills those roles.

I enjoyed reading about the history of investigative journalism and the different kinds.

One thing I like about this book is that it always provides examples of when the media does a good job and fulfills its purpose fairly and adequately, but it doesn't hide the fact that it isn't always done right. The authors also provide examples of when the news has been sensationalized or it has not been reported fairly. By practicing the ideas they present the authors set a good example for aspiring journalist.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 9, 2005 11:34 AM

Lorin, you make a good point about Kovach and Rosenstiel's "fair and balanced" approach. The example they set in their book demonstrates how reporters should reveal both (or all) sides of the story.

Posted by: NancyGregg at October 11, 2005 9:55 PM

Yes, I appreciate the examples of where they've messed up as well. By showing the faults, we can see what not to do.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 12, 2005 10:31 PM