« Jumbled Facts - Friday's Lab Exercise | Main | Looking Forward to Features »

It Ain't Necessarily So, Ch 1 etc.

These types of readings are the best parts of the class. I wish I could just learn about the workings of journalism, rather than actually having to practice it. But, this is a News Writing class, so I will just continue to enjoy these readings and get through the writing as best I can.

Anyway, a few things I really enjoyed about the book so far.
1) Being a lit major, I was extremely excited to see this reference to The Importance of Being Ernest in the Prologue.

"To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to be badly briefed once may be regarded as a misfortune; to do it twice looks like carelessness." (pg. XIV)

I was delighted to see literature used to make an important statement that can be applied to journalism. And it makes sense, because as Dr. Jerz always reminds us in EL250: Literture is a representation of reality.

2)I thought it was very professional that they admitted their biases and weaknesses as examiners of journalism and scientific studies. (Look at the last paragraph on pg. 11, if you don't remember this bit.) I think this is especially important since the subject matter is so dependant on recognizing biases, it is only fair that the authors admit to theirs.

3) I found the examination of the studies of what has and has not made the news very interesting. It put things in perspective for me. But, the best parts were the explanations of why things might happen - such as why negative news tends to be the trend in reporting - and also the recognition that it is not necessarily journalists fault. I also liked how they suggested people read news from different sources, so that they have a better chance of knowing about more newsworthy events than can be found in just one paper (or other news source).

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 22, 2005 7:25 PM