« CST in Everyman | Main | Everyman = Every Man »

It Doesn't Even Matter

Everyman: Alas, whereto may I trust?
Beauty goeth fast away hie;
She promised with me to live and die.

I really liked how all the aspects of Everyman started to leave at the end, even though they had promised to stay. This is true to real life and I think it is a real eye opener to people. It puts things in perspective for the reader and makes them realize what truly matters in life. As we grow old our beauty and strength etc. do leave us, as much as we wish it would stay. With that in mind I think people would more easily be able to focus on other things that are more important. Perhaps after seeing/reading this play, a person might dwell less on what they look like or what they think they "need" to buy because they will know that (as Linkin Park says) "in the end it doesn't even matter."

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 2, 2005 12:49 AM

Oh Lorin, please don't quote Linkin Park. You hurt me. What's next - Avril Lavigne? ;o)

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 2, 2005 12:38 PM

Lol, yeah Kayla I didn't actually mean to, but when I realized what I wrote was the exact words of the song, I knew I probably said it that way because I am familiar with the song so I figured I should give them credit.
And what is wrong with Avril? Do you have a problem with her baggy clothes? (ok so that was corny I know I'm sorry) ;0)

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 2, 2005 3:16 PM

Despite all of the music discussion, I do see Lorin's point. This play really shows that the most important thing in life is to have a relationship with God. Everyman's priorities were a little screwed up. He didn't want to change untill it was too late.

Kayla, I don't particularly like Avril Lavigne either! However, a real singer, Billy Joel, said that "Only the Good Die Young." I think that this line, as corny as it may be, applies because we all understand why Everyman is having problems with God, but why do some of the "good" people in life have problems that they can't get out of? There are just some things that no one can answer I guess.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 2, 2005 11:17 PM

Ok, so this isn't as good of a discussion about the play as it is about music (forgive me for what I have started) but nice connection with the Billy Joel song Andy. And just so you know I DO like Linkin Park and Avril as well as Billy Joel! Actually, I like a wider variety of music than just about anyone I know! So there! You'll just have to deal with my eclecticness and random song lyric quotes from now on! See you all in class!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 3, 2005 1:30 AM