« Establishing a canon | Main | Truths of Life »

Personification and Play Presentation

I really liked how this play is presented. I think the personification of Goods, Beauty, Strength etc. was a very effective tactic that the author used in order to get the point across.

Also, I noticed that there are no stage directions. This leaves a lot of room for interpretation and I think this could make the play very interesting to see performed. The director could do so many different things with it. Although, without any exits written in I had to pay careful attention to the dialogue for exit and entrance cues.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 2, 2005 12:19 AM

Since people were mostly uneducated, I bet they could easily understand characters like Death, Strength, Beauty, etc.

I think the play would seem funnier performed as well.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 2, 2005 12:36 PM

Yes, there is room for some humor, especially in the excuses the characters give for not going with Everyman into the grave. If you dress characters such as "Beauty" in fancy clothes, and maybe give some of them exaggerated mannerisms, a good performer could make this dry but very earnestly written material entertaining as well.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 2, 2005 7:19 PM

To be honest, I really wasn't interested in this play at all. That was untill, I had to research it for a drama presentation. After I started looking into it; I found that i was really actually intersting, and thank you so much, because this site helped me understand the play so much better.

Your truley;

Natalie

Posted by: Natalie at March 3, 2006 10:39 AM

I'm glad I could help you out! Good luck with any future drama presentations!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at March 7, 2006 1:44 PM

I think the play would have better interpretation if had been a musical. The dramatics of music and rhythm could strongly enhance the final outcome and present other viewpoints. Music has a way to increase interpretation.

Posted by: Vonda at December 6, 2006 10:34 PM