« Traction | Main | Catholic Social Teaching »

Recurring Themes - A Doll's House (Act 1)

Yet another from the course website!

There seems to be a recurring theme in three of the plays we've read so far, (“Heart in the Ground” “Trifles” and A Doll's House) but it is rather difficult for me to put it into words...so bear with me. All three plays have some link to the law and things that seem like they would obviously be wrong (for instance, because they are against the law), but in the plays the circumstances make it seem as if what the characters are doing (or what they did that is revealed within the play) isn't actually so wrong. The plays are presented in such a way that it seems natural to sympathize with the characters, despite their "unlawful acts." (is this making any sense?) For example, in A Doll’s House, we all know forgery is a crime and it is wrong and altogether dishonest. But, you don’t finish reading Act I thinking: “Wow, Nora is a horrible criminal who should be locked away!” Yes, perhaps she was a bit naive not to realize that she committed a crime that her society seems to take very seriously, (no matter how good the intentions), but you still can’t help but feel bad for her (or at least I couldn’t).

Here's a comment:

Lorin, I certainly chose these three plays because I thought they went together. You've hit on several of the reasons I was thinking about. Let me know what you think when you finish Act II! (Just curious: did you sympathize with Moe at all from "Traction"?)
Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 6, 2005 10:22 PM

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 2, 2005 2:18 AM