« Night = Hell? | Main | Elements of Journalism, Ch 6-8 »

The Importance of Rhyming

3 SOLDIER:
Well, he's been doing this all day,
Discussing mercy; who knows why?

4 SOLDIER:
Is this the same that did us say
That he was son of God on high?

1 SOLDIER:
He was; that's why this price he'll pay;
That's why he's ordered thus to die.

Throughout both plays, the script has a rhyme scheme to it. Everyman had some rhyming in it too. Only it was more selective, as if it was to emphasize something important that the author wanted to portray to the audience. For example when Goods is talking to Everyman:

As, to the poor, give part of me,
Then shouldst thou not this dolour be,

Why does the author of these plays use rhyme? It is easier to remember a song or a poem because they have a beat and sound pattern. Maybe things were told in rhyme so everyone could remember it more easily. Especially since less people could read so information passed on orally.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 6, 2005 8:44 AM

The rhyming made the play more upbeat (no pun intented). It seemed to make the serious subject matter a little lighter.

Posted by: David Denninger at October 6, 2005 9:53 AM

I think you're right Lauren, these people rarely wrote things down during the Medieval times. There were alot of folklore and oral stories past on and I think the author/playwrite would want their story to be remembered so the rhyme scheme would make that easier.

Posted by: Sean Runt at October 6, 2005 11:31 AM

The rhyming would make it more entertaining and memorable to the audience, I think.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 6, 2005 2:56 PM

I thought since these were medievel plays that is was the style to rhyme. I mean didnt's every great playwright rhyme their plays. I can say that i do not mind the rhyming, but the dialogue is hard to understand.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at October 6, 2005 6:12 PM