« Horatio, the Confidant | Main | Things can be Deceiving - "It Ain't Necessarily So", Ch 2 & 3 »

Thesis For Paper, Please tell me what you think!

I meant to do this earlier, but I forgot until today. I hope you all might be able to help if you have a chance!

I have been wrestling with this idea, because I was unsure if it was actually demonstrating an understanding of the plays we've read, but when Dr. Jerz added some clarification to the assignment online I sort of reworked my thesis. I was hoping you all (especially those who were not in my group for the oral presentations) could give me some feedback and tell me what you think!

In Oedipus Rex, fate is portrayed as humanly uncontrollable and unchangeable, but "Everyman" conveys the idea that a person can consciously choose his path and therefore does have control over his fate. The different portrayals of fate in each play helps illustrate the differences between the cultures represented in each play.

If there is anything confusing, or unclear about it, or not specific enough please let me know! Ask me questions, give me advice, or tear it to pieces if you think it will help. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 23, 2005 10:55 PM

Lorin, if it's any help at this late stage, I think you've got a good thesis. Faustus might also be an interesting middle ground, since Faustus is convinced he's doomed, but the Old Man and the Good Angel try to tell him otherwise. Who was right?

Even if you don't bring in Faustus, I think the approach you're taking can be very productive.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 25, 2005 9:46 PM