« EL 250 Blogging Portfolio 2 | Main | It Ain't Necessarily So, Ch 8 - Indirect Information: How it Leads to Differences Between Reports & Occurances »

Tom's Coffin

Tom:...You know it don't take much intelligence to get yourself into a nailed up coffin, Laura. But who in the hell ever got himself out of one without removing one nail?

Tom definitely wishes he could be like the magician he talks about. To him, his situation is like a coffin, he's trapped and he can't move and he can't get out because it's nailed shut. He feels an obligation to his mother and his sister and it is suffocating him. But at the same time, he knows his family needs him and he wouldn't feel right just abandoning them. That is why he wants to know how to get out of his "coffin" without "removing one nail." He wants to be free, but at the same time he doesn't want to hurt them.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 31, 2005 9:30 PM

Yeah, I think he's hoping for a magic solution where he can live his adventure, and still not abandon his family.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 31, 2005 10:32 PM

Lorin you brought up a great line and what you said was deep. I think that he feels that he is never going to get out of this coffin and that he is going to rest in peace in his 'coffin' for the rest of his life. But we will see what happens in the end. Well i finished it and i know but i wont tell you.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 1, 2005 1:48 PM

Thanks Dena! I appreciate you not telling me what happens! I have to say I disagree with the whole 'rest in peace' bit you brought up. I think the whole problem is that he isn't at peace, but I definitely think you're right that he feels that he will be stuck in the 'coffin' for the rest of his life.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 1, 2005 4:19 PM