« Cheese | Main | EL227 Blogging Portfolio (Take 2) »

Tribune Review, Oct. 11 edition

I have to say I am a bit confused about editorials. I thought they would be fun and exciting to read compared to hard news stories, or even features. But, the ones in the opinion section in The Trib still seemed tedious for me to read. Also, one thing I noticed is that they were also covering recent events, like the earthquakes. For some reason when I think of an editorial I just think of controversial issues that someone randomly decides they want to rant about. And I usually think of more ongoing items like abortion, or affirmative action as being the topics of an editorial. Not earthquakes.

Reading these raises a question about our assignment for Friday. Can our editorial be on any topic we want (as long as we can make it interesting and relevant of course)? Or, does it have to be regarding recent events like the editorials on the Trib?

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 12, 2005 2:42 AM

I think that sometimes editorialists use current events to make the issue they are discussing more current. Abortion has been a long-debated issue, but rather than read just another person's opinion on abortion, wouldn't it be more interesting to read about the Pro-Life elements of perhaps the Terry Schiavo case? The editorials can apply his ideas to what is being talked about on the front page.

Posted by: David Denninger at October 12, 2005 2:40 PM

Lorin its ok, just calm down. I think that we are allowed to write our editorials on anything we want as long as we cover all the requirements. I think that you will be just find writing this, you are a great writer. If you need help just come get me, im right down the hall.

Posted by: Denamarie at October 12, 2005 3:42 PM

I couldn't think of a SHU-related editorial. I'm still new and the "I love SHU" phase hasn't worn off yet, so I've nothing to gripe out.

Take your confusion about editorials and triple it - that's how confused I am about features. ;o)

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 12, 2005 10:23 PM

David I agree, some opinions have just been beaten to death. People don't want to hear about general abortion issues, but they do want to hear about something like your example about the Schiavo case. This becomes a challenge for the for the journalists. They now have to do even more work to try to find interesting topics to write about.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 12, 2005 11:35 PM

You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

David & Andy, you guys have a great point, a lot of issues are beaten to death, but at the same time I think a new approach to an old topic would also make a good editorial (for example Kayla's editorial idea on Pro-both)

Kayla, I'm still in the "I love SHU" phase too, so I totally understand!

Dena, thanks so much! I'm calmer now. I promise. You're the best!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 13, 2005 5:02 PM

Lorin, the assignment instructions note that the best editorials often have a news hook (meaning that they are sparked by current events), but you are free to write about a current event or a long-standing issue, and the scope can be local, regional, or global. Yes, a new approach to an old topic would be fine.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 13, 2005 5:58 PM