« Heart in the Ground | Main | Traction »

Trifles

This was also originally posted on the course website, but for ease, here it is again.

It seems significant that although the play is very much about Mrs. Wright, that she is not actually in it. Everything we as readers learn about her, we learn about through the words and actions of the other characters. We are left to make inferences and ideas about Mrs. Wright's character based soley on what the others first perceive. Why doesn't Glaspell want us to actually "come in contact" with Mrs. Wright directly? Why must we see Mrs. Wright through the other characters' eyes?
Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at August 29, 2005 10:55 PM

Here are the comments specifically refering to my entry:

I can see where Lorin is coming from. The entire play I wondered why Mrs. Wright wasn't given a major role since it is about her and the suspicious death of her husband.

Maybe Glaspell's purpose was to leave the audience wondering what kind of person Mrs. Wright really was.
Posted by: Amanda at August 30, 2005 12:49 PM

The indirect characterization that Lorin mentions did not really mean much to me. Indirect characterization is used frequently in Literature, and it's simply that, a twist in the way that we get to know a character. It makes it more interesting when we as readers get to learn other's perceptions of a character. I think we learn more about that character that way.
Posted by: Chera Pupi at August 30, 2005 02:44 PM

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 2, 2005 2:00 AM