« Personification and Play Presentation | Main | CST in Everyman »

Truths of Life

Everyman:...It is said, in prosperity men friends may find,
which in adversity be fully unkind.

I think that this is a very good observation about life, and it certainly has truth in it. I think everyone can identify with the idea that friends are easy to find when things are going well, but when the going gets tough, there are not quite so many. This play does have a lot of things to teach people even today, whether you are Catholic or not.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at October 2, 2005 12:24 AM

I agree Lorin, this play really does teach whoever reads it a lot. I think that it's especially good because people can relate to it. Like you said, friends are easy to find when things are going well. I know that everyone has at least gone through one experience where a friend has left them out to dry.

Something that I found interesting though is that Knowledge was the first person to volunteer to go with Everyman. I wonder why she would go and none of the "virtues" would?

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 2, 2005 10:58 PM

That is a good question Andy. It also seemed weird that Everyman didn't go to look for knowledge until after Good Deeds told him to. Maybe it was indicative of man having to find his faith within himself. Like, it is up to him to save himself, no one else can do it for you. He had to use his own knowledge and thoughts to realize what had to be done in oder to redeem himself in the eyes of God.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 3, 2005 1:34 AM

Well Everyman asked another to go to death with him but the friend would have never meant going to die for a friend . Plus we are not allowed suicide, right? but good friends would not forsake Everyman in his walkthrough in life .

Posted by: Bashini at September 27, 2009 5:27 AM