« We the Media, Intro, Ch 1-2 | Main | Blogging Portfolio 3 »

Blunt Drama

Troy: I better get down to the hospital to see her.

Rose: Troy...

Troy: Rose...I got to go see her now. That's only right...what's the matter...the baby's all right, ain't it?

Rose: Alberta died having the baby.

I think Wilson has a distinct style that sets him apart from other dramatists and writers. In a lot of other works in a situation like this, there is a lot of build up to an announcement of bad news such as "Alberta died having the baby." It is supposed to build suspense. The audience knows something is wrong and they are hanging on the edge of their seats to find out what. But in Fences, Wilson just has the characters come right out with it. There is no build-up. You are just struck with the shock of the events. In a way, I think this actually makes the play even more dramatic.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at November 13, 2005 4:06 PM

I totally agree that Wilson separates himself from the mainstream of the dramatic world. When Wilson died, theatre suffered a great loss. He was one of the playwrights to push the emotional envelope in all of his plays. I read an article in the Washington Post about him... here the link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301734.html

Posted by: KevinHinton at November 13, 2005 7:04 PM

Yeah I thought that was weird. I did not expect Rose to announce Alberta had died, she just came right out and said it, and Troy seemed unbothered by it. Then, Rose takes the baby and accepts it as her own like Troy had just brought home a puppy and asked her if they could keep it. If I were Rose, I wouldn't take it as lightly. That's a humann life she just agreed to take care of, not some mutt off the street. Lastly, when Troy died, they all seemed to be bustling about the house and yard like they were going to some party. At first I thought maybe Troy had been absent from the family's life so they had a little bit of a reason to be unbothered by it, but then Raynell talked about her father and Rose described the way he died. To me, it seems there was a lack of real human emotion in the play.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at November 13, 2005 9:25 PM

I agree Lorin, in many places in the play, what you were talking about may be seen as emotionlessness. Sometimes, it seems as if characters don't care what's going on, however, they do.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 28, 2005 1:32 AM

Kevin,
Thanks for the link!

Amanda,
I don't think that Rose was taking it lightly. I just think she felt that it wasn't the baby's fault that her husband had been unfaithful. And she was the bigger person in all instances in the play. She didn't let the fact that the baby would be a constant reminder of the wrong that had been done to her by Troy keep her from doing what she thought was right. She still believed in giving that baby the best life she could possible give her. For that I think she should be admired. If I was in her situation, I don't know that I would be able to be that willing to forgive and to recognize that sometimes doing what is right and expressing true love means doing what is best for someone else and not just yourself.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 28, 2005 12:49 PM