« The Value of Human Life | Main | iCan Project »

Christmas is Coming! We the Media, Ch 6-7

"...when the competition has done a better job than we have on a topic I care about, I'd be shortchanging my readers if I didn't take them to the best coverage." (118)

Just today I began getting excited about the holiday season coming up quickly. I had this sudden urge to play Christmas songs. It's my favorite time of year and I can't help but want to get it going early. So when I read this section of We the Media, it reminded me of the remake of the movie Miracle on 34th Street. It seems as though this approach of pointing out work that is better than your own is poor business - in reality it makes sense.

Check out these lines from the movie script from when a mother speaks to one of the store managers after meeting Santa Clause:

"If you don't got it, it's too expensive,
he's saying where to get it at the right price.

...............................................

Tell Santa he made me a cole's shopper outta me.

I'm coming here for everything
but toilet paper.

Any store that puts the parent ahead
of the buck at christmas deserves my business."

(Click here for script from Miracle on 34th Street)

These lines show that customers appreciate complete honesty and a businesses ability to admit when they didn't do the best at something. In media, this idea of linking to the best coverage, even if it is a competitor, creates credibility for the journalist and it also provides the consumer with the best product available. Everyone wins.

Don't you just love Christmas!?!?!

Posted by LorinSchumacher at November 16, 2005 7:44 PM

Hey I am not going to lie, I love Miracle on 34th street!! I love how you incorporated a movie with these chapters. I think the store and journalist comparison is excellent. It is really true. If a store is going to lie and say they have the best price and I go there and buy something and then i go to another store and see the same exact item at a cheaper price, I am going to be mad. I thought they were telling the truth, and now i am more likely not to go back there and shop. It is the same way with journalists. If i read something, i hope that it is credible that i can believe and look forward to reading more of the same writers articles in the future. GREAT COMPARISON LORIN!

Posted by: Denamarie at November 18, 2005 10:30 AM

Yes, that's a great point, Lorin. Don't reinvent the wheel -- link to it. If you've read something that does a better job than you can, send your readers to it.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at November 18, 2005 12:05 PM

Lorin, I love that movie as well. And the point that I get is that people will respect you even more if your willing to give up the profit so that they get the best product out there. I totally understand that sometimes it's not the easiest thing and it really gives your pride a test. But you feel better about yourself and like you said, it benefits everybody.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at November 29, 2005 1:58 PM