« The Trib - Court Report | Main | Possible CST topic »

Fellowship

Norfolk:...Can't you do what I did, and come with us, for fellowship?

More: (Moved) And when we stand before God, and you are sent to Paradise for doing acording to your conscience, and I am damned for not doing according to mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

These lines reminded me of exactly what happens in "Everyman" when Fellowship will not go with Everyman on his journey. More realizes that Norfolk cannot come with him to his final destination. He is a true Catholic by that century's standards. He feels that faith and good works are necessary for salvation.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at November 10, 2005 12:14 AM

I like how More deliberately insulted Norfolk. He needed a way to end their friendship. It confused Norfolk, but also freed him. Interesting that because of his high morals, he not only lost his life, but his friend as well. I suppose he didn't completely understand More anyway.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at November 10, 2005 12:45 AM

Yes, I think More wanted to make sure no one ended up being dragged down with him. He knew that anyone he was friends with was at risk for being accused of treason too. So, in a way, he severed his ties and ended the friendship, for fellowship.

And I think you're right, Norfolk, nor anyone else really understands More. And that is part of the problem, they can't understand why he would give up everything, his position, his family, his life for what he believed in. As David said in his blog about the first half, More is a very idealogical person, he really isn't very practical.

See David's Blog:

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DavidDenninger/2005/11/bolt_a_man_for.html#comments

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 11, 2005 7:34 AM