« The Tribune Review, Nov. 8, 2005 Ed. | Main | Fellowship »

The Trib - Court Report

I already blogged on two other articles, but in case I have to blog on a court-related story I have a few words to say about article on A7.

"Court to hear case of terror suspect"

This story is obviously a pre-Supreme court case article, talking about the charges against the driver of Osama bin Laden. What is at question is Bush's constitutional rights regarding military commissions. I think the article in a bit confusing (as many court case articles are to me) because it involves the background of both the case against the terror suspect and the military commissions. Trying to keep the details separate in my head was rather difficult. it is a good article, but I have to say it is organized in a way which makes it difficult for me to follow. But, to be fair, this is also partially a result of my lack of practice reading court case articles, or actually any news articles in general.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at November 8, 2005 12:08 PM

I agree, this is a complex legal (constitutional) controversy, but you have done a good job pinpointing the core issue. On an emotional level, bin Laden's driver, Hamdan, could be an innocent person just trying to make a living or he could be much more. I think he's often been used as an example of Guantanamo detainees who have been unjustly held.

Posted by: NancyGregg at November 8, 2005 10:29 PM

Lorin, I have heard so much about this issue, I decided to research it.
http://blogs.setonhill.edu/NancyGregg/2005/11/the_issue_on_th.html

Posted by: NancyGregg at November 9, 2005 10:36 PM

Thanks Nancy, that is a big help!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 10, 2005 11:42 AM