« EL 227 Bloggin Portfolio 3 | Main | The Trib - Court Report »

The Tribune Review, Nov. 8, 2005 Ed.

"Voters Focus on Local Races"

This front page article struck me as a good example of the inverted pyramid. It begins with the news about everyone heading to the polls to vote in the local off-year elections. And then it gives positions that will be voted on and talks about the controversy over the Supreme Court Justices up for election and then the controversy over the pay raises that "state lawmakers gave themselves." It ends with who is running for what and what party each candidate belongs to.

Besides this example of the inverted pyramid, the idea that state lawmakers voted themselves to have a pay raise made me wonder how exactly that works. (This issue is clearly important to people, as it is referred to in the Opinion section as well) I know that in Congress, any pay raises agreed upon cannot take place until the next election of Representatives. (According to the 27th Amendment: which states: No law varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives shall take effect until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.) I think this is important because then if the people do not like that, they can chose to not re-elect the members who voted for a pay raise. (Not that they will, since esp. in the House incumbents tend to win, but, the point is, in theory, they can.) I am not sure why it is not like this at the state level. It makes perfect sense to me.

"Penn-Trafford Seniors Return to class"

I liked how they reporters covered the different opinions of the students and parents about the issue. It is important to realize the affect this strike is having on the WHOLE community, not just the teachers and school board officials. (not that it had previously been neglected, I just thought it was a good example of how the story can be covered from many angles and it is important to think about the affect it has on everyone in order to see the big picture.)

This whole situation makes me sad. I feel bad for all of the students there, especially in their senior year. I know if I was in my senior year still I would be freaking out because of AP exams and having to do them online. I personally, really don't learn well that way. Even as a future educator, I have a hard time sympathizing with the teachers on strike. I just think the most important thing about a teacherís job should be to help guide the future of our country by helping to educate students in the best way they know how. I know that doesn't have much to do with news writing, but I just wanted to get that out there.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at November 8, 2005 11:57 AM

Great blog entry. I like your analysis of the Penn-Trafford teacher's strike. On my way to school, I drive by the pickets. Your right, it does impact the entire community.

Posted by: NancyGregg at November 8, 2005 10:15 PM