« This is the Last Song... | Main | Are you convinced? »

The Tribune Review - Nov. 29 Edition

In the local section of The Trib, I found some information in the article titled "Hempfield holds line on '06 taxes." Although not the most important part of the article, I found the part about the increase in the garbage collection rates interesting.

"Seniors had been paying 40 cents per bag for garbage pickup. Beginning Jan. 1, under a new contract with Allied Waste Management, seniors will now pay $2 per bag." (B1)

I had no idea people had to pay by the bag in order to have their trash picke dup in the first place. Of course, in a lot of ways I ham a very spoiled military brat. We never paid to have our trash picked up that I knew about. Is is something to try to get people to create less trash in the first place and encourage them to reuse and recycle things? Or does tax money just not already cover trash pickup?

Posted by LorinSchumacher at November 29, 2005 9:15 AM

Lorin, I'm not gonna lie, I have no clue but I know that in Connellsville we don't have to pay to have our trash picked up. I mean, I guess if I was a garbage man, i would want to get more money too. But realistically, you just can't do that. Yes, you may be a spoiled little military brat (you know I'm only joking :) ) but honestly, I don't get that either.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at November 29, 2005 2:37 PM

We don't have to pay in our area either. That actually sounds really messed up. I am really glad that you brought this to our attention because that can really piss a lot of people off, which is really one of the best ways to create change. I'm not sure if this is a feature, I think that this more news, but it is still absolutely necessary to bring up. Check out my blog on the rebuilding of New Orleans school since Katrina if you get a chance.

P.S. Moo.

Posted by: Jason Pugh at December 1, 2005 1:30 PM