« A First Attempt at Aestheticly Approaching "Benito Cereno" | Main | Malinger - My New Favorite Word »

January 30, 2007

Familiar Comfort

Foster (Ch 12 and Interlude [p. 183]) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Moreover, works are more comforting because we recognize elements in them from our prior reading" (Foster 187).

This is how I get from one page to the next when I am reading something very dense and complex (aka just about everything in my upper-level lit classes ;0)...but seriously you should see how excited I get when I can go "Oh wait! This is just like such and such!") I don't know what I would do if everything was completely original and new. I would feel incredibly lost and the writers would be less effective. Even in terms of the plot, sometimes it can be tiring because you think, "ok yeah I have seen this a zillion times," but on the other hand the author needs you to already have seen it before in order for you to get anything out of it. The author often draws a reader in by relating to experiences they are fairly sure their audience will have had.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at January 30, 2007 4:34 PM

And the more you read, the more dots you know, so the more likely you will be able to connect dots.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 30, 2007 10:28 PM