« Malinger - My New Favorite Word | Main | Thanks Billy! »

January 31, 2007

She Wished it was True...

O'Connor, ''A Good Man is Hard to Find'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"'There was a secret panel in this house,' she said craftily, not telling the truth but wishing that she were, "and the story went that all the family silver was hidden in it when Sherman came through but it was never found...'" (O'Conner 9).

What I like best about this story (and almost all of O'Conner's stories) is that they are somewhat dark and depressing, and yet there are certainly humorous elements. I found the grandmother very amusing. (Oh and anyone else think it is weird that she doesn't have a name? She is THE grandmother and the same is true for "the children's mother." She doesn't have a name either...ok sorry, tangent.) Anyway, so yeah the grandmother is amusing and comical, as well as sort of annoying and I find it unbelievable and childish that she would lie about the house's history and characteristics in order to get her way. What I find most interesting is the way the sentence is phrased it seems that she believes that since she wished she was telling the truth, that made it ok to lie.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at January 31, 2007 9:51 PM

I think you make a very good point with how she (the grandmother) thought it was ok to lie since she wished she was telling the truth. And yes, I can see how you can also find the grandmother a little funny and amusing but I definitely think she was more annoying/childish/selfish then funny and amusing. She got her family killed and only cared about saving her own butt when it came down to it. But I also think you made an interesting observation as well in the fact the the grandmother doesn't have a name or the children's mother. Hmmmmmmmm...

Posted by: Margaret Jones at January 31, 2007 10:35 PM