« What to Say and How to Act in Social Situations: A Difference of Opinion | Main | Winter - The Season of Death »

January 25, 2007

The Big Secret

Foster (1-3, 5) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Here it is: there's only one story. There I said it and I can't take it back. There is only one story. Ever. One. It's always been going on and it's everywhere around us and every story you've ever read or heard or watched is part of it" (32).

I love this concept and I fully believe it is the truth. It is a hard concept to get your head around...it is so much bigger than you or me or as many people put together as we can even imagine. The world is so big and our knowledge of it so small, so limited. That is why this is so important. Each story is different, yet it is the same. It is a distinct piece of the puzzle (a very complex, multi-dimensional puzzle), yet it is in so many ways connected to other parts of the puzzle and each part is vital to the story as a whole. And the puzzle just keeps growing and it has no definite beginning or end. It is a plane extending in all directions for infinity and we will never really be able to comprehend the vastness of it...but I take comfort in knowing that I am a piece of that puzzle and I affect it, as we all do, even though in just a very small way. So the next time you think that what you do doesn't matter, doesn't affect this world, doesn't impact others...think again.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at January 25, 2007 10:02 PM

In a way, Bernice's haircut started the generation of flappers -- independent young women who challenged their mother's ideas that the proper thing for a young woman to do was stay at her parent's house until she got married. Fitzgerald didn't invent the word "flapper" and it doesn't appear in this story, but he republished this story and others in a book called "Flappers and Philosophers," which showed a picture of Bernice's haircut on the cover. (A modern analogy would be a book in the 50s showing a young woman hiking up her poodle skirt to get a tattoo on her thigh, or in the 70s showing someone getting the bridge of her nose pierced. I don't know what is considered equally shocking these days... anyone want to suggest something?)

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at January 26, 2007 9:56 AM