« Prior Knowledge Ruins Everything for those New Critics | Main | That Happened BEFORE the play, not During it...does that matter? »

Better Read than Performed

title="Shakespeare, The Tempest -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)" href="http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DennisJerz/EL312/018516.php">Shakespeare, The Tempest -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

As Dena already mentioned on her blog, we watched the video that the library has last night in Maura. All I can say is that I wish I had had time to read the play instead. To modify a quote from The Wedding Planner (sad I know)...I think if Shakespeare were alive today, and he saw that production, he'd wish he was dead.

Despite the fact that Shakespeare wrote the plays to be performed, I have to say that I enjoy reading them much more than I enjoy watching them in most cases (although I did enjoy Much Ado About Nothing when I watched it senior year in high school). I think if I have time I will get a copy to read and refer to since we will be studying it all semester.

One thing I will say though, is that all those that think history is not important to the understanding of the text (perhaps not author biography, but history and cultural context in general)...well they have another think coming because I think if I tried to understand Shakespeare in today's context it really wouldn't make much sense.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at February 13, 2007 12:19 AM

Agreed, Lorin. I especially like reading the history plays (all the Richards and Henrys, etc.) I've seen some productions (As You Like It, Romeo & Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, MacBeth), but I also liked reading these plays better when I had the Shakespeare course last year. We read a play each week... rough, but it ended up being fun.

I'm interested to know more about why you don't think the time period in which the play was written is important.

Posted by: Karissa at February 14, 2007 12:41 PM

Ummm, I do think that the timeperiod in which the play was written is very important - especially in the case of Shakespeare, as his works are still so widely studied after sucha long time. What did I say that gave you the impression otherwise?

Posted by: Lorin at February 15, 2007 3:37 PM