« The Narrator is the Machine!!! | Main | Prior Knowledge Ruins Everything for those New Critics »

Dialogue - Both Useful and Necessary

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (112-149) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Dialogue has several possible uses: to reveal character' motives, feelings, values, and relationships; to advance the plot; and to suggest tone" (132).

I think for this part of the book I most enjoyed the section on dialogue. Of course, I already knew what dialogue is, but I enjoyed seeing descriptions of how it can be used to do more than just tell you what someone is saying. I usually have a hard time picking out things from dialogue to use in a close reading, so I usually pick descriptions and other narrated passages, but after reading this section I think it will help me analyze the dialogue of characters in more effective ways.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at February 11, 2007 9:28 AM

I agree. I'm the same way. It is definitely interesting to see how dialogue can convey meaning based on length, not just on words.

Posted by: JenniferPrex at February 11, 2007 6:22 PM

The best understanding I've ever had of dialogue came from Mr. Esais' Writing of Fiction class. Over and over again he would stress how important it is to not have useless dialogue. Dialogue isn't just conversation - it's a literary device to help develop the story.

Posted by: Diana Geleskie at February 12, 2007 9:55 AM