« YAY, Now We Not Only Know What They Are, We Have a Method for Finding Them | Main | Identity is Easy - You Have to Do More for it to be Meaningful »

Don't Talk the Talk if You Can't Walk the Walk

Anonymous, ''Everyman'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

Fellowship: I speak of no deserving, by this day.
For he that will say and nothing do
Is not worthy with good company to go;
Therefore show me the grief of your mind,
As to your friend most loving and kind (5).

I never noticed last time I read this how Fellowship's words foreshadow what it is that he needs in order to get into heaven long before it is actually mentioned in the play explicitly. By telling him that "for he that will say and nothing do / Is not worthy with good company to go" meaning that even if you are all talk about doing good things, if you never accomplish any good deeds that you can't get into heaven. Of course, is this context Fellowship actually means that he just "show" him his grief (interesting he does not say "tell"...Dr. Jerz would be proud) before Fellowship will agree to go with him on his journey.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at February 16, 2007 5:30 AM

good read. i didn't see this the first time either. I like how fellowship took care of the forshadowing but still didn't give everything away and ruin the others' lessons. I also noticed the "showing" throughout the poem, and i can see now how much more interesting it actually made the piece.

Posted by: Mike Poiarkoff at February 16, 2007 10:53 AM