« She Wished it was True... | Main | Don't Use Epigrams in Your Epitaph »

Thanks Billy!

Foster (6-9, 11, 14) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"He's everywhere, in every literary form you can think of. And he's never the same :every age and every writer reinvents Shakespeare" (38).

I love this chapter because I remember when I first really studied Shakespeare (freshmen year of high school...ah the good old days...sorry been a bit nostalgic lately since I turned 20 and am now feeling somewhat old). I remember reading Romeo and Juliette thinking what the heck is so great about this guy? What is the big gosh darn deal? But, then I was required to participate in the Shakespeare festival for my class and so I actually had to memorize and act out a scene from A MidSummer Night's Dream. Acting out the scene over and over makes it much more real an much easier to understand, and ever since then I have been hooked. When you really interact with the text you can't help but fall in love with his work and see exactly how much of a genius he was. I was a terrible actress and probably didn't do the play justice at all, but I had a blast. My senior year, I did a scene from Measure for Measure which was ten times better, too! That was even more fun because people I didn't even know were coming up to me, saying "That was a great job you did on that scene!" The beauty of it was that people aren't that familiar with that particular play and yet, we made our peers enjoy it. Only we only did part of it. I owe the rest to good old Billy. Ok sorry that whole entry was rather tangential, (I can hear Jay wispering "relevance!" in the back of my head now! Good thing he's not in this class! ;0) Anyway I am blaming it on my lack of sleep!

Posted by LorinSchumacher at February 2, 2007 3:21 AM