« Read This Intelligent and Informative and Interesting Blog Entry (especially if you want a good hint about when NOT to use commas) | Main | Another use of the uncanny? »

March 20, 2007

More Eyes, Human or Replicant, and...Jesus? = The Uncanny for sure

Scott, dir. Blade Runner (Director's Cut) -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

I was at first disappointed in the ending, especially since I didn't see the last 15-20 minutes until tonight because I had to leave for my staff meeting Sunday night before the movie finished. So I had a whole day to anticipate exactly how it was going to end. I also read "The Uncanny" in between viewings and I found the movie very intriguing in those terms because I was able to find examples of almost all of Freud's major points regarding what sorts of things can be defined as uncanny. As both Tiffany and Dena have pointed out, the eye thing Freud mentions in his psycho-anaylsis certainly evoked uncanny feelings in us. The height of that particular source of uncanny feeling occured as we watched the genetic engineer work on the eyes and the leader replicant Roy poke out Tyrell's eyes (gross, I know). Also, there is a definite "uncertainty whether a particular figure in the story is a human being or an automation" (Freud 378) theme in the movie. Deckardís whole job depends on his ability to be able to tell the difference between replicants and real people. And Roy stabbing himself in the hand with that HUGE nail (EWWWW) and then a few minutes later saving Harrison Ford from falling to his death, where have we heard that story before? I don't know about all of you, that reminded me of Jesus dying on the cross to save the human soul - and if that isn't a perfect example of something familiar that I gives you the chills every time you think about it or see a representation of it I don't know what will. So, basically I don't think we could have watched a better film that would illustrate as many of Freud's points as Blade Runner.

Posted by LorinSchumacher at March 20, 2007 12:53 AM

That is a good observation, Lorin...

In literature and in film there is always symbols that represent Christ and Christianity in very subtle ir very extreme was. If you look at The Matrix, every one who wasn't under the influence of the machines looked for a savior to save them (sounds familiar). Blade Runner's symbols are so subtle that without reading The Uncanny, you might not be able to understand the symbols of the movie (which is a lot more important than the plot). In my blog, I stated about the humanity of every character in the movie and how their action questions who they are.

Again...Good work I wouldn't have thought of that.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at March 20, 2007 10:51 AM

I thought the nail thing was too obvious and over the top. I disagree with Kevin's comment on this entry that everything in literature and film contains Christ symbolism. One of my biggest criticisms of criticism is that it reads too much into too little. Connecting benign or ambiguous symbols with Christianity just to have something to read into does not symbolize the symbol as Christ symbolism. I hope that clarifies it.

Posted by: Dave Moio at March 22, 2007 7:27 AM